Test Your Knowledge of the King James Version
and other translations: A Brief Survey
True or False
1._____The King James Version became the official
version of the Church of England, replacing the
2. _____The KJV was the first English Bible to be published
without the Apocrypha.
3. _____There were two different editions of the KJV published
4. _____Some of the translators of the KJV were involved in
persecuting other believers, even to the point of
burning two men at the stake for their religious beliefs.
5._____Some of the KJV translators claimed that one man,
Archbishop Richard Bancroft, made fourteen changes
in their translation without their approval.
6. _____Some of the translators of the KJV were Presbyterians,
Baptists, Methodists, and Independents while the rest
7. _____One of the KJV translators had a brother that was one
of the translators of the earlier Catholic Douay-Rheims
8. _____The publishing of English-language Bibles including the
KJV was permitted in America before the Revolutionary War.
9. _____ The KJV did not update or revise any of the words in
the earlier English Bibles.
10._____Tyndale's Old Testament used the rendering "Jehovah"
at least fifteen times where the KJV does not.
11. _____ The 1611 KJV has "seek good" at Psalm 69:32 while
present KJV's have "seek God."
12. _____ In the book of Acts, the Great Bible has over 100 words
that are not found in the KJV.
13. _____ The 1535 Coverdale's Bible does not have the rendering
"penance," which was sometimes used in the earlier
1389 Wycliffe's Bible from the Latin Vulgate.
14. _____ The KJV N.T. was the seventh English translation of the
15. _____ Erasmus was a Reformer like Martin Luther.
16. _____ Charles Thomson, a signer of the Declaration of
Independence and secretary of the Continental Congress,
made the first English translation from the Septuagint
and the first complete English translation by an American.
17. _____ The KJV updated some archaic uses of "quick" with
"living" at some verses in the earlier English Bibles.
18. _____ The earlier English Bibles such as Tyndale's, Coverdale's,
and Matthew's do not have any missing verses and
phrases when compared to the KJV.
19. _____ Erasmus admired Jerome, translator of the Vulgate.
20. _____ King James was a great, godly king, who loved
21. The King James Version was the _____ authorized
version of the Church of England.
22. The most popular and best loved English Bible of
the common people in the early 1600's in England
was the ________.
- A. First
- B. Second
- C. Third
- D. Fourth
23. In terms of human influence, the majority of renderings or
translations in the KJV should be credited to ______.
- A. Bishops' Bible
- B. Geneva Bible
- C. KJV
- D. Great Bible
24. Erasmus, editor of the Greek N. T. was a/an _____.
- A. L. Andrewes
- B. Luther
- C. G. Abbott
- D. Tyndale
25. The first English translation to have only "Lord Jesus"
at Acts 16:31 instead of "Lord Jesus Christ" as in
the KJV was _____.
- A. Anglican
- B. Roman Catholic
- C. Presbyterian
- A. ASV
- B. Tyndale's
- C. Revised Version
- D. RSV
Here are the answers.